Looking For A Fun Alternative Sport? Try FlingGolf
At Welk Resorts San Diego, FlingGolf™ is a growing new sport that is played on the Oaks Course with a golf ball and FlingStick™. Whether you are an active golfer or someone who is into alternative sports, FlingGolf is a new twist on golf that is sure to grab your attention! An awesome alternative to golf, FlingGolf can be played alongside golfers and scored the same way as golf. FlingGolf is a great way to get your friends and family out on the course with you.
You only need one FlingStick™ and a golf ball for every type of shot.
- FlingSticks™ are available for rent or purchase in the pro shop at Welk Resorts San Diego.
- Bring your own golf ball or purchase in the pro shop.
For any age and skill level, FlingGolf is a sport that is easy to start and fun to master. Instead of hitting a golf ball with a golf club, you use a single FlingStick to hurl the ball and shape every shot from tee to hole. For maximum distance, it’s essential to take a few steps before your shot. Take a few steps back from where the ball lies and release the ball before reaching this spot.
The following Flinger techniques involve swings and motions from golf, lacrosse, baseball, and hockey:
- The Overhand
- The Sidearm
- The Low to High
- The Flop Shot
- The Bump and Run
- On the Green with the Striker Pad
Just like golf, the Flinger with the fewest shots and the lowest score wins.
- Add up the total flings that it takes you to get the golf ball into the hole.
- Take a one-shot penalty if your ball goes out of bounds, goes into a hazard, into a bunker or gets lost.
How to Play
FlingGolf™ is a fun sport that requires only one club (a FlingStick™) and can be played at a much faster pace than regular golf. You start on the Teeing Ground and throw your golf ball down the fairway in a lacrosse or baseball style motion. You continue throwing the golf ball from each spot that your ball rests until you have made it to the green. Once on the green, you can use the FlingStick™ as a putter with a Hockey style motion.
- Equipment: With your FlingStick and ball ready to go, head to the tee.
- Fling Techniques: There is no wrong way to fling it so make your own techniques or try out the overhead, sidearm, low-to-high, flop shot from behind your back or the sideways bump and run.
- Scoring: Count your flings from tee to hole.
- Tee Shots: Throw your ball from behind the tee marker towards the flag. It is ok to take steps while flinging the ball.
- Mid-Shots: Mark your ball where it lies and throw your ball from behind the mark.
- On-the-Green Shots: Place the ball in the putting notch on the side of the FlingStick™ head, place your feet in position, and push the ball toward the hole. You may not move your feet while pushing. You may also mark the ball, place it in the FlingStick™ channel, and roll it toward the hole.
- Penalties: If your ball lands in a sand bunker, water hazard, goes out of bounds or gets lost, take a 1-stroke penalty.
- Sand Bunker: Remove your ball from the bunker and retreat up to 5 paces from the bunker along the line your ball traveled into the bunker. Fling your ball before reaching the bunker.
- Water Hazards, Out of Bounds or Lost Ball: Retreat up to 5 paces back from where the ball went into the hazard, out of bounds or area where it was lost, then fling the ball before you reach the hazard, out of bounds or lost area.
Can I play alongside traditional golfers?
Yes, even in the same foursome.
Do I need a special golf ball to play?
No, a standard golf ball is all you need.
How many FlingSticks do I need to play?
How far will my FlingShot go?
Far, really far, or really really far. Over 100 yards within 5 minutes of using your FlingStick, but with some practice, strength, and skill, over 200 yards is certainly on the table. Hard-core athletes have been known to bomb it 250+ yards.
But how accurate will it be?
Very. Compared to an average golf shot, you will generally find it much easier to keep your FlingShots straight and on the fairway.
How does pace of play compare to traditional golf?
FlingGolfers tend to play quicker than traditional golfers, especially beginners.
Can I take a few steps before my shot?
Yes. For maximum distance, it’s actually essential. Take a few steps back from where the ball lies and release the ball before reaching this spot.
For companies and teams looking for a fun off-site team-building activity for any sized groups, FlingGolf is a great choice. Make memories, create challenges and grow relationships all while your group experiences playing a brand new sport. Packages, pricing and group reservations can be customized for your event.
Welk Resorts San Diego is located just off of the I-15 freeway, north of Highway 78 in north San Diego County. Serving the whole north San Diego community, Welk Resorts is in Escondido and close to San Marcos, Valley Center, Bonsall and Fallbrook.
- The World League FlingGolf is the official governing body of FlingGolf and exists to support the player community, participating golf courses, and to promote the sport throughout the world.